Friday 30 July 2010

Cleaning up the Oracle mess

I've been caught off-guard by the number of news stories that have been posted about Oracle turning off their Solaris boxes that participated in the PostgreSQL Buildfarm and the fact that I've been working to replace them. I think most of us in the community assumed it was going to happen sooner or later - Sun were contributors to PostgreSQL, but once they bought MySQL I think it was the beginning of the end of their contributions to the project. Being acquired by Oracle was the solid-gold nail in the coffin.

Anyway, just to clarify a few points in some of the articles I've seen:
  1. My employer and corporate contributor to PostgreSQL, EnterpriseDB is providing the hardware for the new buildfarm members. We try to give back to the community wherever we can, and this is one thing that we can do quite easily.
     
  2. So far I've enabled two Solaris SPARC buildfarm members, one running the Sun Studio compiler, and one using GCC. There are equivalent Solaris Intel members being setup at the moment, as well as a couple of Windows 7 ones using VC++ 2008 32 and 64 bit.
     
  3. Contrary to reports and what might be inferred from the short bio on my blog, I actually work for EnterpriseDB on a full time basis. The "in my spare time I work for..." bit was my poor British attempt at humour. Sorry 'bout that - it won't happen again!
Well, that's about it I guess. We now return you to your scheduled programming.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you and EDB. We see us in Stuttgart!

    Andreas 'akretschmer' Kretschmer, Germany

    ReplyDelete