If you've ever used one of the PostgreSQL installers for v8.2 or above, either the old Windows MSI installer or the newer "one click" installers that also support Linux and Mac, you'll probably have come across StackBuilder. For those that haven't or those that never found the time, StackBuilder was introduced with the PostgreSQL 8.2 installer to allow us to distribute different components of PostgreSQL independently of the server itself. Originally in 8.0/8.1, the installer included lots of additional products, such as the ODBC, JDBC, OLEDB and .NET drivers, Slony and PostGIS. As you can imagine, this proved near impossible to maintain as we needed to try to coordinate the release of products from multiple independently run projects.
StackBuilder was the solution to this. The installers were cut down to essentially include just the PostgreSQL server, pgAdmin and StackBuilder, which allowed us to provide all the other components on independent release schedules. It also gave us a vehicle to encourage adoption of PostgreSQL by other Open Source projects, by including packages for them as well, so with a few mouse clicks a user could be up and running with a "stack" like Drupal, Apache, PHP and PostgreSQL on their OS of choice. We made a conscious decision to include software other than well known Open Source products in the StackBuilder catalog as well, with the aim of giving the user as much choice of product to use with PostgreSQL as possible - as a result we have products in the catalog from multiple vendors and projects, as well as the "PostgreSQL family" projects. If you're interested in having a PostgreSQL related product included in the catalog, please contact me to discuss how we can make that happen.
So, with the refresher course out of the way, todays blog post is prompted by the latest round of updates that I've been adding to the catalog - we've got 42 updates to the Open Source packages, as well as 18 new packages, including for the first time, pgBouncer, pgMemcache and Drupal 7.
- Apache/PHP 2.2.20-5.3.8: Linux32, Linux64, Mac, Win32
- mediaWiki 1.17.0: Linux32, Linux64, Mac, Win32
- pgJDBC 9.0-801: Linux32, Linux64, Mac, Win32
- phpBB 9.0-801: Linux32, Linux64, Mac, Win32
- PostGIS 1.3.6 for PG 8.3: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- PostGIS 1.4.2 for PG 8.4: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- PostGIS 1.5.3 for PG 9.0: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- psqlODBC 09.00.0310: Linux32, Linux64, Mac, Win32
- Slony 1.2.22 for PG 8.3: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- Slony 2.0.7 for PG 8.4: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- Slony 2.0.7 for PG 9.0: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- Npgsql 2.0.11: Linux32, Linux64, Mac, Win32
- Drupal 7: Linux32, Linux64, Mac, Win32
- pgBouncer: Linux32, Linux64
- pgMemcache 2.0.1 for PG 9.0: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- pgMemcache 2.0.1 for PG 9.1: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- PostGIS 1.5.3 for PG 9.1: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
- Slony 2.0.7 for PG 9.1: Linux32, Linux64, Mac
Note that the PostGIS community maintain the PostGIS installers for Windows which will be released as soon as they're available. Windows updates for Slony are still in development due to an issue found in QA. Mac and Windows builds of pgBouncer are on their way.
To download and install any of these packages, just run StackBuilder - if you don't have it already you can get it with the PostgreSQL Installers.